http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: Of Vampires and Classic American Literature

Comedian Erin Conroy

Monday, June 30, 2008

Of Vampires and Classic American Literature

Oh snap - this is my 200th post! Someone open a bottle of Boone's and we'll celebrate!

So I just finished reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" for the first time this weekend. I know, I know - it's a classic, and it's disgraceful that it's taken me this long to read it. I hold firm to the belief, however, that almost all required-reading books are boring. And because "To Kill A Mockingbird" was on almost every required-reading list, I was all, "Forget that book, son! I'll stick to my Sweet Valley High, thank you very much."

Sidebar: The only two books that I ever actually enjoyed being forced to read for school were "Catcher in the Rye" and "A Separate Peace". I love them.

Anyways - people were always shocked when they found out I hadn't read "Mockingbird", but two people were notably on my ass about it. Thanks Ryan and Shannon, for guilting me into reading it. As it turns out, I thought the book was incredible. And now I'm wondering what else I'm missed out on thanks to my near-sighted though admirably steadfast boycott of all books noteworthy.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I have 2 books lined up right now, but when I'm done - what classics would you recommend? Or just any really great book - be it older or more recent. I don't like romance, chick lit or Vonnegut; so think twice before recommending "Gone With the Wind", "The Devil Wears Prada" or anything by Vonnegut. Thanks!!!

I was walking to the Subway around 1:30am on Friday night, when I passed a rather rotund man arguing with his inexplicably hot girlfriend. She was visibly upset and trying to get him to listen to her, and this is what he said to her as I passed:

"Well baby, maybe you just don't understand what it means to be a vampire."

It was a good thing I was heading home, because I wasn't going to hear anything better for the rest of the night.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to say Pride and Prejudice - it is a classic and really good but does have some romance. Here are some others: The Great Gatsby, The Good Earth, and your sick-ass would probably love Lord of the Flies. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home