http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: Reality Setting In

Comedian Erin Conroy

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Reality Setting In

I have been talking about moving to NYC for a good long while now. Probably for about 9 years. That's a slight exaggeration. Maybe it's only been 9 months. I don't know-who's counting?

And now, after talking a big game and letting everyone know that I would be "such a ghost" one of these days-it's looking like D-Day is coming up rather quickly. My last day at my 9-5 is December 23rd, and my last day waiting tables (my true passion, of course) is December 15.

It's crazy to me that DC won't be home anymore. I've been in this town for over 7 years now. I know it like the back of my hand. I can give perfect directions to strangers who approach me on the street. I don't, obviously, because I am a hateful person who enjoys watching people with Georgia plates drive around the same circle six times. But if I was a good person, I definitely could give perfect directions.

It's intimidating. New York is a big city-and there are no shortage of horror stories; concerning the comedy scene, the rental scene, the dating scene...you name it. And believe me-I've seen my share of "Law and Order-SVU" episodes.

But as scary as this whole move is, the thought of never at least trying my stand-up in NY is ten times more terrifying. So hell-I'll go.

Now all I have to do is secure an apartment and a job...

Before I leave I have a few more shows in DC. If you wanna catch me around town:

November 30th, 8pm-Willie and Reed's, 4910A Fairmont Avenue, Bethesda: This is a fundraiser for the Didactic Theatre Company, and there will be some great comics there. $5 at the door.

December 6th, 8:30pm-Nanny O'Briens, 3319 Connecticut Avenue, NW: Ah, the Nanny's showcase. The first stage I ever performed on. I think I also puked in the bathroom once.

December 8th, ??pm-Wooly Mammoth Theatre, Downtown DC: Hey-could I know less about this show? Probably not. But I will confirm details as I get them. I do know that it's being heralded as a "Girls vs Boys" show, and should be fun. And by fun I mean hernia-inducing. Solid.

So that's that! The next entry will be less reflection and more animal attacks.

I Promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home