http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: KUMITE-RRIFIC!

Comedian Erin Conroy

Friday, October 28, 2005

KUMITE-RRIFIC!

Last night was the Comedy Kumite Tournament of Champions. A gathering of some of DC's brightest comedy stars and most outrageous heroin addicts. Everyone that performed last night falls into both of those categories.

The show was a lot of fun. Not so much the performing, as the nonsense that went with it. I saw two men kiss, was subjected to unrelenting sexual harassment, made Ryan and Rory both extremely uncomfortable while discussing my past indiscretions, and I think there was even some ice cream involved. Better than my birthday? You know it!

Everyone that performed last night is both a friend of mine AND someone I really admire as a comic. And Zach Toczynski is the prettiest man I've ever seen to boot! Frank Hong ended up taking home the crown-and rightly so. I'm always delighted when Frank does well-he's simultaneously one of the funniest and most bizarre comics I've ever seen-and an absolute joy to watch. Is it really obvious that I'm going to ask him for money?

A big thank you to Chris White for dreaming the Kumite up about 2 years ago and continuing to make it one of the most inventive and enjoyable comedy formats out there. And also for not smashing my brains in with that chair. That took class, my friend.

So what's next for me? Well, even though I really don't see how that's any of your business, I'll tell you: Alcohol. This week my day job took it upon itself to hand me my ass and make me wear it as a hat. What does that mean? I don't know-look it up. Needless to say, I have been swamped at work and this weekend I am alllll over getting some sleep and getting some drunk. One of my good friends is getting married in 2 weeks, and I think I will be raising a glass to her at some point this weekend. Her nuptials will mark the EIGHTH couple I know that has gotten hitched this year. Eight....flippin'....couples. Thank God I bought all that stock in Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn and the Pleasure Palace. These registry purchases are paying for themselves!!

I will be at the Comedy Spot again on Sunday November 6th for a second installment of the Geekfest Comedy Tour 3000. Take a lot of the comics that were there last night, add Jon Mumma and Danny Rouhier, and stir. And what you've got is a pungent concoction that could choke a packmule! Gooooooooooooooo COMEDY!

What's that? You want to know who gets my vote for the Supreme Court nomination now that Harriet Miers has withdrawn? That's easy.

Harry Anderson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home