http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: Can You Hear The People Sing? Singing The Songs Of Angry Men...

Comedian Erin Conroy

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Can You Hear The People Sing? Singing The Songs Of Angry Men...


Yesterday was July 4th. Our Independence Day. The day that we Americans celebrate our forefather's struggle for freedom, and the privileges we enjoy today because of their struggle.

And yesterday was also a different kind of Independence Day. A day where myself and 8 other co-workers at my part-time waitressing job all declared our desire for independence. A day where we decided to say "no more" to oppressive tyranny and declare our right to freedom.

A day where we all quit and walked out together after 2 hours of work.

Now, I won't bore you with the harrowing details of the events that led up to this fateful confrontation-I will only say that we were totally justified. Management has been unreasonable, pay has been ridiculous, promised Three Musketeers haven't been received, etc etc.

Special accolades go to my friend Kat, who-after the final straw was placed on the burdened camel's back-led the revolution. Complete with her fist in the air. No, I'm not kidding-she yelled "Viva La revolucion!" and threw her fist in the air and walked out. If it wasn't such a serious situation, I would have peed my pants laughing.

I have never been in a situation like that before, and it was kind of a rush. I have never just up and QUIT a job without giving proper notice and usually discussing it with my boss beforehand. But just up and quitting in a flair of over-dramatic-hat-throwing yesterday was a BALL.

I have decided to make the most of this newfound sense of defiance and tenacity, and apply it to whatever situations I deem appropriate. Example? Alllright:

I will no longer stand idly by while the foul-mouthed, boorish woman in front of me in the supermarket argues for 14 minutes about whether or not a coupon is valid. Never again will my perishables and frozen foods suffer! The next time I am behind this devil in pink stirrup pants, I will rend the hateful coupon in twain, deliver a mighty blow to the Great Offender's basket, and watch as the Hot Pockets of her regime scatter to the winds like so many defeated guerillas!!


Yeah....or else I'll probably just clear my throat and occassionally tap my foot. That'll learn her too.

Viva!

1 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Conroy, you fucking crack me up, you know THAT???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home