http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: Really? AIDS? Really?

Comedian Erin Conroy

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Really? AIDS? Really?

So I performed with the DCStandup All-Stars last Wednesday, September 13th at American University. It was an interesting show, to say the least. The crowd was not really trying to have a good time, and we all did our damndest to change their minds. Tough going. None of us bombed-I felt pretty good about a couple of new jokes I threw in the audiences face, and everyone else gave it their all as well. And then when Jared was onstage, a particularly ornery young man took it upon himself to voice his displeasure. He yelled out that AIDS was funnier than Jared. AIDS. Yeah, AIDS. Who yells that?!!? Who uses AIDS as an insult? Isn't AIDS a kind of tender subject? I can see maybe saying SARS is funnier than someone-that "potential epidemic" turned out to be a bit of a joke. But AIDS......I dunno, man. Maybe I'm missing the pure comic genius at work here.

Anyway-kudos to Jared for dealing with this douchebag with grace and wit, and finishing his set strong.

College crowds are usually a crapshoot for me. One of the best sets I ever had was at Johns Hopkins University. On the flip side, the single worst set of my comedy career was at the University of Maryland Baltimore Campus. Who knows? Maybe it all depends upon what flavors are being sold at the Jamba Juice on campus. (Strawberry Mango Energy Fusion is a bitch)

My sister and friend Melissa were in NYC for a visit this weekend. I think I'm still drunk.

Shout-out to my boy Zack right now: I know life is hard for you, right now. You can only grill and get drunk by the pool so many times a week, and that's rough. But keep your spirits up, and your faith in "The Oracle" constant. And I swear to God I'll never DD again. Probably...

I started this blog back on September 15th 2005. That means, (gasp!) I just passed my one-year anniversary of blogging. What does this even mean? A whole big pile of nothing, I think. But there might be 3 or 4 of you who have been reading since the beginning, and are still with me now. And to you, I apologize. But I appreciate the support-and will work to try and get some quality material up here.

Word jumbles are quality, right? Who doesn't like word jumbles?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home