http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6857/1600/1600/conroy_400.jpg Comedian Erin Conroy: Futurama

Comedian Erin Conroy

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Futurama

I love that show. It's funny.


But that's not what this blog is about. It's about the future, as bleakly depicted on the Silver Screen.


How come the future that Hollywood creates for us is never positive? I can't remember the last time I saw a Jetsons-esque prediction of things to come. Show me flying cars, friendly robots who aren't trying to kill us or our kids, and maybe talking dogs or something.


But noooooooo. We get zombies, killer diseases, murderous androids that look like Rutger Hauer (scary!), martial law and nuclear annihilation. I know these things are all possibilities - especially the Rutger Hauerbots - but come on!


Let's see the lighter side of the not-so-distant future! Let's see a baseball game between Earth and the alien residents of Alpha Centauri; a game that decides who is ultimately the coolest life form in the universe. And oh no! We're down by three runs in the bottom of the 9th! But the bases are loaded, and Babe Ruth is striding to the plate. Oh yeah, in this future - we can bring dead sports stars back to life to kick ass in inter-galactic tournaments. Anyhoo, Ruth steps up to the plate and homers, and Earth wins the game!!! The Alpha Centaurians are gracious in defeat, however - and they give us the secret to eternal life, as well as a totally awesome recipe for taco dip. And then we all dance to "Louie, Louie" as the credits roll.


That's a future movie that needs to be made. You hear me, Spielberg?


Taking my obvious creative genius into account, two recent future movies that were very well done - even if there were no alien baseball teams to speak of - are "Children of Men" and "Idiocracy". Two very different films, I found myself thinking aloud as I watched each of them, "Yikes. That's probably going to happen."

Unless we can all unite as one human race and get to work on the flying cars and robot butlers. Because I'll tell you what - I'd much rather have a Rosie as a maid in my space house....



Than a human race incapable of reproducing or a moron for a President.

Oh.....Dear.....God......Maybe it's too late....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home